Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Humanities 30 Reflection


Humanities 30 Reflection

            During my Humanities career I have learned several invaluable lessons, many of which will stay with me for the rest of my years, however none as valuable as those that I have acquired throughout the past 7 months of learning.

            Throughout the course of the English Language Arts portion of Humanities 30, my peers and I were introduced to many new ideas and strategies in order to enhance our works, and broaden our horizons. Many of these new ways of thinking were technology based, supported by programs such as Prezi, Slide Share, Wiki spaces and Blogger. I feel these programs really helped to give my presentations the elements needed in order to attain a greater understanding of the concepts being studied as well as the high marks that I desperately desire. This feature combined with the intriguing esthetics, which the program offers, allowed everyone involved to take more from each presentation.

I felt that early on in the course my writing skills were greatly challenged, strategies that had worked for me in the past proved no longer sufficient, and after some defiance I came to realize that change was necessary. It was instances such as this that taught me the most, and my writing skills are definitely better for it. This progression is proven when one compares my first Critical Analytical Response to that which I wrote less than a week ago. Everything from the pre writing preparation to the conclusion of the actual essay showed drastic development, and these changes also translated in the mark that was awarded. These successes not only showed up in my writing but in almost every style of work that we were given throughout the course. I would also mention that I did not only see this progression in myself, but in my team members as well; as individual assignments were enhanced, the skills acquired translated into group projects as well.

            Humanities forces you to be better not only for yourself but also for the others in your team or group, this idea became more prominent than ever before during this English Language Arts portion of Humanities 30. When you are instructed to complete an assignment as a group, most break the assignment up into respective portions. This allows for the persons involved to play to their individual strengths while also relying on the other group members for added input. I know that this format worked best for my group and I and really pushed us to present our best work before out peers. I found that when working with my group we were able to achieve a high level of success on many of our assignments, this was mostly do to our devotion to the project and our sheer desire to do well.

Although my journey in Humanities is really far from over I feel that with the tools I have acquired thus far, combined with those I am sure to obtain over the next three months, I will be propelled into the Bachelor of Commerce program at Red Deer College, equipped with the tools necessary to achieve the upmost level of success in all situations. However this is only the beginning, the skills I have acquired are certain to also help in times well past my school days, I will always carry with me the aspiration to improve all my work as well as the upmost desire to achieve success.   

No comments:

Post a Comment